Become a 2022 Orientation Leader!
What is an Orientation Leader (OL)?
The OL position is designed to offer student leaders the opportunity to implement orientation programming for new students, transfer students, and family members. OLs assist at various events such as RISE, Inbound, Illinipalooza, International Student Orientation, and Fall Orientation/Welcome Days and various other orientation programs. This is a great position for someone who has pride in the University of Illinois and wants to give back!
What will I do as an Orientation Leader?
- Implement and facilitate Orientation Programs for approximately 8,000 incoming Illini through the following programs: RISE, Inbound, Illinipalooza, International Student Orientation, Fall Orientation/Welcome Week, and other events.
- Serve as a resource for incoming first-year students
- Facilitate large and small group events and discussions
- Showcase the traditions, spirit, and pride of the University of Illinois
- Create a positive, welcoming, and inclusive campus environment for incoming students
- Showcase what it means to be an Illini!
What are the requirements to be an Orientation Leader?
- Hold full-time undergraduate student status (12 credit hours) at the University of Illinois during Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and returning to Illinois as an undergraduate for Fall 2022
- Possess and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher with good academic and disciplinary standing with the University of Illinois
- Enroll and complete LEAD 140 — the OL Leadership course — in Spring 2022
- Tuesday & Thursday from 6:00-7:20 pm
- Work for one of the following Orientation Leader Teams:
What will I gain from the Orientation Leader experience?
- Compensation for time worked at the rate of $13 an hour for NSP orientation programming (beginning in June 2022)
- Course credit for LEAD 140— the OL Leadership Development Course
- A vibrant community of faculty staff, and other student leaders where you can build lasting professional and personal relationships
- An opportunity to develop and refine your leadership skills, which can enhance your employment marketability and career opportunities
- New Student Program uniform(s) and fun apparel
- Eligibility to apply to become an Orientation Student Coordinator after completing your OL experience
How do I apply?
You can learn more about the Orientation Leader position, by attending one of our Orientation Leader Info Sessions or stopping by our recruitment tables:
- Recruitment Tabling
- Wednesday, October 20 from 11:30 am-1:30pm on the Main Quad
- Thursday, October 21 from 4:00-6:00 pm on the Main Quad
- Wednesday, October 27 from 11:30 am-1:30 pm in the Student Dining & Residential Program (SDRP) Building lobby
- Thursday, October 28 from 4:30-6:00 pm in the Student Dining & Residential Program (SDRP) Building lobby
- Informational Sessions
- Tuesday, October 26 from 6:30-7:30 pm in Gregory Hall 213
- Monday, November 1 from 6:30-7:30 pm in Gregory Hall 223
You can find a timeline of the Orientation Leader Hiring process below:
|Monday, Oct. 11||8:00 am||Orientation Leader application opens|
|Tuesday, Oct. 26||6:30-7:30 pm||Info Session|
|Monday, Nov. 1||6:30-7:30 pm||Info Session|
|Sunday, Nov. 7||11:59 pm||Orientation Leader application closes|
|Tuesday, Nov. 9||6:00-8:00 pm||Group Interview|
|Wednesday, Nov. 10||6:00-8:00 pm||Group Interview|
|Thursday, Nov. 11||6:00-8:00 pm||Group Interview|
|Friday, Nov. 19||5:00 pm||Candidates are notified|
|Tuesday, Dec. 1||11:59 pm||Deadline to accept offer|